What happens if the opposite party does not turn up in the court in order to delay the litigation?

 Once the summons are issued by the court upon the opposite party, it will be served by court on the address of the opposite party provided by the Plaintiff. Plaintiff should ensure to provide the correct address of the defendant so that the summons are duly served upon the Defendant. The Plaintiff may also seek a permission from the Court under Order V Rule 9A (Dasti summons) to effect service of the summons upon the Defendant on its own to further ensure that the Defendant is duly served.

In case the Court and the Plaintiff are unable to effect service of summons upon the Defendant after using all the reasonable diligence, the Plaintiff may apply to the court to seek permission to effect service through the way of a publication as per Order V Rule 17 and Rule 20 of the CPC. The service of summons upon the Defendant is presumed to be effected by way of such publication, and in case Defendant still does not appear in the case after giving him opportunities, the suit is proceeded ex-parte against him.

Cookies on NRI Legal Services Sites

We use cookies for a number of reasons, such as keeping NRI Legal Services Sites reliable and secure, personalising content and ads, providing social media features and to analyse how our Sites are used.

Manage cookies