Who is responsible for obtaining the Occupancy Certificate (OC)?

 A builder/developer is responsible for applying for Occupancy Certificate with the Municipal Corporation or development authority of the city/region in which the property is situated. The certificate is awarded after the inspection authority is satisfied that the project has been constructed under the approved building plan and mandatory norms.

However, in some cases, builders can avail of partial OC and offer possession. For instance, in mixed-use development projects, a builder can obtain a partial OC for a partly completed residential project and hand possession to the flat owners. In contrast, OC for shops or retail units in the under-construction stage can be availed later.

Cookies on NRI Legal Services Sites

We use cookies for a number of reasons, such as keeping NRI Legal Services Sites reliable and secure, personalising content and ads, providing social media features and to analyse how our Sites are used.

Manage cookies